Hello, hello! How is everyone doing this bright and beautiful July day? I’m still finding motivation and focus hard to achieve, which means most of my writing goals have failed miserably. Slumps suck, but I’ll get out of it. Anyway, I don’t really have anything writerly or exciting to post about, so I thought I would reintroduce you to my writing area. I know I posted about it before, but writing areas aren’t entirely about writing. They’re also about the writer (in this instance, me), so I wanted to introduce you to some of the non-writerly things that I keep nearby.
1. Yarn. I decided to teach myself how to crochet, so I have a slowly disappearing skein of yarn and an 85% finished project sitting on my computer. I just have to make a few more rows, then figure out how to sew it into a hat. As usual with my creative endeavors, I’m finding it difficult to work up the motivation to finish. Mostly because the next project I want to undertake scares me. It’s supposedly fairly easy, but it looks so complicated! And kind of big, so I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle it physically. But I’m enjoying the new hobby even though it scares me. That’s about all it has in common with writing. Well, that and shitty first attempts being acceptable.
2. Tequila. I actually have two bottles of tequila on my desk. One is an anejo from Republic Tequila in a bottle shaped like Texas. It hasn’t been opened yet, even though I’ve had it for years. I also have a Kah reposado in a sugar skull bottle. I’ve only had a couple of shots of it, so it’s mostly full. I’m not a lush. I swear.
3. Assorted treats. I keep a jar of chocolates on my desk, plus various candies and Pocky that I pick up or that people give me. I still have chocolate from Christmas and Easter, plus candy and Pocky that are at least a couple of years old. I keep forgetting they exist. It’s weird, I know. But my sweet tooth only activates at random times and I usually go for the chocolate instead of the rest.
4. Random creepy creatures. Well, they aren’t really creepy. I have a little rubber rat finger puppet that a neighbor gave me one Halloween. His name is Yuki (it means snow) even though he’s black. I just really like Fruits Basket. And he cheers me on from my computer or right next to it. I also have a tiny glass octopus named Tako that a friend sent me during one of her visits to Italy. He watches me from one of my shelves. And I have a bunch of other random figurines I’ve collected over the years.
5. A pile of CDs. My new stereo doesn’t have a multi-CD function, so I have 60+ CDs sitting around in plain sight (many more hidden in my cabinets), waiting to be ripped to my computer. But I’m lazy and keep forgetting about them.
So, that’s some of the non-writerly things I have in my writing space. If it tells you something about the kind of person I am, feel free to share. What are some of the things you keep in your work space that have nothing to do with your work? Feel free to leave your comments, thoughts, or questions here or on my social media pages!