Hello, hello! It’s April 1st. I would ask what your plans are for the month, but they’re probably the same as mine: avoid people and stay at home. A better question is how are you doing? Are you staying productive or are you going stir crazy? I’ve wavered between productivity and doing nothing. Between bouts of binging Britbox with Dad, I managed to finish my major revisions on DS1 and read more books than usual (11 so far this year). I’ve also been stalking social media more than I was. Apparently, people are super bored because my Facebook newsfeed is becoming more about food and games again instead of politics. One of the little games floating among my friends is the Unpopular Opinion post where you list five popular things that you don’t like. They’ve added a twist where you also include five unpopular things that you do like. So, I thought I’d steal it for my blog this week!
Five popular things I don’t like:
1. Dr. Pepper. As someone from Texas, I’m not entirely sure I’m supposed to admit this, but I’d rather drink sweet tea than DP and I don’t care for that either. Just give me a Pepsi or a Mexican Coke, please.
2. The Office. I’ve seen bits and pieces of it and I just don’t get it. Nothing I’ve seen from it has been funny or entertaining. Same with Friends and Seinfeld and Brooklyn 99. Maybe my funny radar is broken. I don’t know.
3. Olive Garden. The bread sticks are okay, but everything else is… not good. I guess maybe if it didn’t claim to be Italian it might be okay, but no. It’s not good. I can’t think of any redeeming features even if I don’t think of it as Italian.
4. Gift cards. Okay, it’s not technically that I don’t like them as much as it is that I forget they exist. If I’m shopping online, I don’t think about them unless they’re right in front of me. And when they’re for specific stores, I remember them when I’m at the store, but they’re always at home. It’s frustrating. But I have managed to spend the majority of the ones I had forgotten about and found last year.
5. Starbucks. I drink it because it’s pretty much the only coffee place around here, but it’s always disappointing. I think I’m out of gift cards for it, so I’ll stick with having Dad make me coffee when the mood strikes.
Five unpopular things I do like:
1. Nickelback. I don’t really know why they’re so unpopular in some groups, but I like them. You know you secretly do too. Especially their older stuff. Don’t lie. You can sing along.
2. Anchovies. Also, sardines and pickled herring and lox. I also like obscene amounts of garlic. I’m weird. Judge me all you want.
3. Puns. I like stupid jokes. You should really know that by now.
4. Being alone. I like my own company. I like not having to worry if I’m annoying someone with my choice of entertainment. I like not having to talk if I don’t want to. It’s nice being by myself.
5. Not being on the phone 24/7. I don’t call people. I do text but it’s rare for a conversation to last more than a half hour at a time. And I hate using it for internet stuff. I use it to read when I’m away from the computer and I might scroll through Facebook occasionally. But if I’m out and about, I’d rather people watch and socialize a little bit.
Feel free to play along here in the comments or on my social media pages!