Hello, hello! Can you believe tomorrow is Thanksgiving? Where’d the time go? Next thing you know, it’ll be Christmas, then a new year. Time really needs to slow down. Anyway, since my favorite holiday is just a day away, I thought I would take this opportunity to share five things I’m grateful for this year!
1. Dad. I know I don’t say it out loud to him, but I really am thankful to have someone like him in my life. He has always shown me that just because life doesn’t go the way you expect doesn’t mean that you have to be miserable about it. You don’t have to let toxic people bring you down. Sometimes, you need to make changes if you want things to go a certain way. It’s okay to be blah occasionally, but mostly you need to try to find the happy in things. But most importantly, he taught me to look in the mirror and take responsibility for my actions, which I try to do. He also gave me my twisted sense of humor and enables my darkness, so you can blame him for all of that (okay, sometimes I deny all responsibility and blame him, but that’s what dads are for).
2. The people who take the time to check up on me. You know who you are. I have been an increasingly crappy friend, especially lately. I don’t text or message people as much as I should, if at all. I know that and I’m struggling to break free from the contentedness I find in being a recluse. But I really do appreciate the messages asking how I am and giving me updates on your lives. I do stalk most of you on social media, though, which makes me the creepy crappy friend.
3. Seeing my words in print and getting paid for them. I was starting to think it wouldn’t happen, so I’m thankful to E.R. Bills and Hellbound Books for choosing me to be in their awesome collection alongside other talented Texas writers. An occasional acceptance really does help to overcome the feels that a long list of rejections brings up.
4. Peppermint chocolates. After waiting for all things pumpkin spice to start winding down for the year, I get the reward of all things peppermint for a month and a half! Just had my first Ghirardelli peppermint bark square of the year. It made me weirdly happy. It always does. Judge me all you want, but at least I have goodies to comfort me.
5. A dad who’s good with tools. I didn’t intend to add him twice, but my armrest on my new wheelchair decided to come loose a little while ago and he got everything put securely back together. If it breaks, he can usually fix it. That’s something to always be grateful for!
What about you? What are you thankful for this year? Feel free to share your thoughts and comments here or on my social media pages!