Howdy, howdy! Since it’s October, the great Candy Corn debate has started up again. If you’ve been on any social media platforms, you know exactly what I’m talking about. The passive aggressive memes about there being two types of people in the world (Candy Corn lovers vs. Candy Corn haters). The more aggressive memes that claim the best way to eat Candy Corn is to throw it in the trash. You see similar memes around most holidays with various foodstuffs. Well, since I have nothing else to ramble about and I’ve pretty much exhausted favorite candies/chocolates in past posts, I thought I’d share my top five candy nopes. Also known as candies I’m just not a fan of.
Here they are, in no particular order:
1. Candy Corn. I’ll be honest and say I’m not a fan. Would I throw them away? Probably not. But I wouldn’t buy them for myself. I’ll eat them if they’re there, but they’re always disappointing. They just taste like sugar and they have a weird waxy texture that ends with an unappetizing grittiness. They’re not bad, but they aren’t good either. There are other things I’d rather put in my mouth.
2. Peeps. These are typically debated around Easter, but Halloween versions exist, so I’ll say it now: I don’t like Peeps. To be fair, I don’t really like marshmallows, so they didn’t stand much of a chance in the first place. Sure, s’mores are okay. And I wouldn’t turn down hot chocolate with marshmallows. But if I’m eating a marshmallow, there needs to be chocolate with it. Or something to make them taste interesting. Peeps don’t meet that requirement.
3. Mounds and Almond Joys. I like the flavor of coconut and small amounts of toasted, shredded coconut is fine. But a mouthful of shredded coconut makes me feel like I’m chewing on a clod of moist hair. I don’t know why it brings that image to mind. I know it’s completely different, but I can’t do it. It’s my one texture thing. I can do slimy and pretty much anything else, but not hairy type stuff. Make fun of me all you want. I’ll just be over here not having to pick moist coconut flesh from between my teeth.
4. SweeTarts and Smarties. Actually, pretty much any sugar flavored chalk is a no from me. This includes the heart candy you see around Valentine’s day. It’s not bad, but it’s not my cup of tea. I do like the chewy version of SweeTarts, though.
5. Peanut M&Ms. Sorry, not sorry. I love peanut butter in my chocolate, but not peanuts. I’m iffy on almonds too. Nuts in my chocolate are great if there’s a good chocolate to nut ratio, but companies rarely get it right. And yes, I heard it as I was typing it. Get your mind out of the gutter.
So, what are your candy nopes? Feel free to share your lists and comments here or on my social media pages!