Howdy, howdy! Welcome to 2020! I hope you all have a wonderful year and even better decade! The 2010s were a weird decade for me. My mother passed away (don’t be sorry, I’m not), I finished my BA at SMU, got my MFA from Stonecoast, got published a couple of times, earned a LOT of rejections, lost some pups, got a new one, and the list goes on. Ultimately, it seems like there were more ups than downs, and that’s all one can really hope for. It’s all I want out of 2020 as well, both the year and the decade. Anyway, since it’s the 1st, I’m just going to list my goals for the year. I suppose I should have some kind of 10 year plan, but I don’t. I never think that far ahead, at least not seriously. So, you’re stuck with my plan for the year like usual.
My 2020 goals in no particular order:
1. Finish revising DS1. I plan on getting back to this today. The only major change I’m looking at making is changing the tense of the story from past to present because it just reads better that way. This goal is my priority for this year. Hopefully, it will only take me a few months. After I look at it, I’ll set a realistic deadline and share it with people who can hold me accountable.
2. Read 30 books. I’ll definitely read 12 new/recently released books for the monthly book reviews (yeah, that’s still going to be a thing). That leaves 18 books. I’m planning on 8-10 of those being books from my “to re-read” list and the rest being books that are new to me, but not necessarily new. At least that’s the plan. We’ll see how it goes.
3. Keep submitting. This will be my third year of consistent submissions. At least two stories every week (or the equivalent if I get sick and miss some weeks like last year). I’ve gotten about 210 rejections for my short stories since I started keeping track in 2014, plus 101 rejections from agents for G&G, so I’d say I’m doing pretty well. The few acceptances I’ve earned make it not so discouraging. All of my acceptances so far have been for semi-pro level payment and I’ve received positive feedback on rejections from pro level markets, so hopefully 2020 will be the year of my first pro level acceptance. A girl can wish, right?
4. Query 100 agents (or fewer if I find one). Once I finish the revisions to DS1, the plan is to query agents. It’s drastically different from G&G, so I’ll have to go through the process of finding agents with a taste for this particular genre. But at least this time I’ll have had some experience and know where to start my search. I dread writing the query letter, though. It’s harder to write than a novel.
5. Crochet. Yes, my new hobby is still a thing. I’m getting pretty far along with my first project (the unfinished hat doesn’t count). And I already have like 10 free patterns saved to try and 20 paid patterns in my favorites on Ravelry to buy when/if I decide to do them. But it’s just a hobby and will have to be done after my writing and revising each day. At least that’s what I keep telling myself. I’ll make it work. Eventually.
Those are my goals for the year. I’ll add new writing goals once I finish my revisions. And I’m not even going to say anything about trying to be more social because we all know it’s not going to happen. What about your goals? Any plans you want to share for your 2020? As always, feel free to share your thoughts and comments here or on my social media pages!