Howdy, howdy! On Sunday, I turned 34. It was a nice, quiet day. Dad took me out for Thai food, which was super yummy. It’s a place we used to go to pretty often called Tukta Thai over on the corner of Walnut Hill and Plano Road. We still have no idea why we stopped going other than it being a bit of a drive. I’ll have to review the place next time we go (if I can remember to make Dad take pictures). Anyway, since I have nothing new to ramble about, I thought I would make a list of 34 random facts about me that you may or may not already know.
1. In case you haven’t guessed by the January 12th birthday, I’m a Capricorn.
2. Just about every morning, I call my dog random names to see what she’s answering to in that particular 5 minutes, because she refuses to learn her name. Or any name.
3. I love garlic. What’s the point of eating something if there’s no garlic in it?
4. I’m a slush reader for PseudoPod.
5. If I have to choose between vanilla and chocolate ice cream, I’ll usually choose vanilla. Unless it’s Ghirardelli or Talenti, then chocolate please. Or just give me coffee ice cream. Now, I want ice cream.
6. I watched The Witcher and never got the song stuck in my head. I can’t even remember the tune. Does that make me a psychopath?
7. I think Madonna is overrated.
8. I haven’t watched a single episode of Game of Thrones, nor have I read any of the books.
9. I like fake grape flavor.
10. Sailor Saturn is the best Sailor Senshi and nothing you say will change my mind.
11. Anime taught me that main characters don’t have to be likeable for the story to be good. Yeah. I’m looking at you, Shinji and Eren.
12. I love bats and octopuses. And snakes. And wombats. Animals. I like them.
13. Mermaids, sirens, and selkies are among my favorite mythical creatures.
14. I’m so bad at remembering to write letters that one of my friends routinely sends me stationery type stuff to remind me to write to her. I currently have one of the blank cards she sent me for my birthday sitting in front of me waiting to be filled out. It’s been there since Friday. I’m a horrible friend.
15. I told Dad I was going to crochet a bag of dicks for him if he didn’t stop being one, so he brought out the “dick warmer” he got as a gift a long time ago. Needless to say, I now have an old crocheted penis on display in my room.
16. My CD collection has been sitting on my desk for over a year since my old stereo died. I keep forgetting to transfer them to my computer.
17. I have been in every state straight up from Texas and to the east. Now, we just have to conquer the west.
18. When people ask if I’ve been out of the country, it takes me a minute to remember that Canada counts and I have been there.
19. I used to cross-stitch before my hands decided to be stupid. Which is probably why I enjoy crocheting. It’s a completely different experience, but I get to buy pretty yarn, which is basically the same as buying pretty thread.
20. As much as I miss video games, I’m kind of glad I stopped being able to play before you had to start buying in-game upgrades and subscriptions and all that crap. I’m poor enough as it is.
21. I could never be a vegan because cheese. Meat too, but mostly cheese.
22. I like Pepsi better than Coke. Unless it’s Mexican, then Coke is better.
23. My acquaintances post these “picky eater” test things on Facebook and I really have no idea how some of them survive. Like, what do you eat? You can’t survive on air and cookies.
24. I’ll taste just about anything once. I’m not picky. Even if I know I don’t like it, but haven’t tasted it in years, I’ll try it again.
25. I don’t like sweet pickles. Doesn’t matter how many times I taste them. Blargh. But I love dill pickles.
26. My favorite season is summer. I like heat, though I admit as I get older, 85-90 is warm enough.
27. Anything besides cheese pizza (and maybe sausage or pepperoni) is an open-face sandwich. You’ll never convince me otherwise.
28. I’ve had to read “Hills like White Elephants” by Hemingway so many times I’ve lost count. The last teacher who assigned it actually looked supremely disappointed when he asked what it was really about and I automatically answered abortion. He was kind of a dick anyway, so I didn’t mind bursting his smug bubble when he just knew no one would know what it was about.
29. I love boxes and baskets. I have no use for them, but I love them.
30. I collect blades and whips.
31. In one of my fiction writing classes at SMU, no one knew what an asshat was. I understood the teacher not knowing, but none of my classmates had heard it either. I fixed that.
32. Aside from weapons, my room also contains an eclectic mix of stuffed animals, skulls, Barbie dolls, and signed posters among other things.
33. I like Panera’s frozen coffees, but find their hot (read that as lukewarm) drinks extremely disappointing.
34. It took me a ridiculously long time to write this because I suck at talking about myself.
There you go. Thirty-four random things about me. Feel free to share your thoughts or comments or lists about yourself here or on my social media pages!