Howdy, howdy! It’s time for another short Jenae appreciation post. This time, it’s her actual birthday (June 8th). She’s my little sis, my found family, my forever friend. And she’s the bestest. Hugs and love and all of that sappy stuff to you! She knows I’m really bad at this openly affectionate stuff, so I hope she forgives me for being weird and creepy.
You’re smart and sassy and gorgeous. I still wish your husband would let me marry you, just so we could wear fancy clothes and eat epic cake. Stop being a buzzkill, Matt! I kid. Maybe. Nah… it’s the distance that’s the buzzkill, not the hubby. Why do you have to be so far away? Ah well. It just means I have to admire you from afar. I would say it was good because this way you don’t have to know how creepy I really am, but you met me at peak cringe when I didn’t hide it at all and still didn’t run away. I think we’re good.
You’re a wonderful mother and friend and nerd. I’m so glad I get to watch you grow every step of the way. I love that you’re turning your kids into little nerds too. I know life gets crazy and difficult, but you always do your best with what you have. You listen to me complain and always know when I’m looking for actual help or just someone to plot revenge with. It’s usually the latter. We’ve planned so much chaos. You’re the best sidekick a villain could have.
I love you, Sis. And I hope your birthday is awesome!
Howdy, howdy! How’s everyone doing this week? Things here are good. I’ve been writing and all of that fun stuff. Fingers crossed that I can keep it up! But, I’m not really here to talk about that right now. It’s my birthday tomorrow (actually today when this goes live), so I thought I’d do another “getting to know me” type post. Instead of 36 random facts about me, I decided to look for one of those A to Z questionnaire things. They’re shorter and I don’t have to think as much. I randomly found this one during a Google search, so here we go.
A… If you were an ANIMAL, what would you be?
Probably some kind of fish. One of those ugly deep sea fish with the little light lure thing on its head. An anglerfish, I think. That might be cool.
B… BOOKS: What’s on your reading list?
Right now, just the book for January’s review post and one I ended up with to review in mid-February. Otherwise, my list is mostly the same as the last time I posted about it, but I’m slowly chipping away at it and randomly adding new stuff. I’m sure I’ll run out of stuff to talk about and share a list soon enough.
C… COMPULSIVE about anything?
Far too many things. I have a few weird rituals that I do repeatedly throughout the week, mostly when I’m in my lift for an extended period of time. It’s stupid and does nothing, but it makes me feel slightly better.
D… DREAMS: Do you… dream in color? remember your dreams? keep a dream journal?
I don’t journal at all. And it’s rare for me to remember my dreams. They’re either super mundane or straight up nightmares, nothing in between. Almost always from my own perspective and in color.
E… EATING: What’s your usual snack?
I don’t really eat snacks unless Dad and I are having a lazy day. I guess chocolate mostly. I’ll have a piece before bed if that counts as snacking. Chips if we have them. Once in a while, popcorn. Or whatever leftovers are in the fridge.
F… A Few of your FAVOURITE Things?
Food. Animals. Books. I could go on, but you just asked for a few.
G… GIGGLES! What (or who) makes you laugh? Do you have a good sense of humor?
I basically have the sense of humor of a 12-years-old boy. It’s not hard to make me laugh. Dad jokes, puns, innuendo. I’m not picky with my humor. It ranges from actually funny to completely inappropriate.
H… Major HOT Button:
I don’t really have any. I know I should probably care about stuff more, but the truth is that people are going to think what they want regardless of what I say. The only reason I ever debate anything with people is because I’m bored, but then I just get annoyed, so I don’t see the point in it.
I… I am:
A cripple. A writer. My father’s daughter. And much more.
J… JOBS: What do you do? What have you done? What would you like to do?
I’m a writer. That’s about it.
K… Also KNOWN As: Aliases? Screen names? A non de plume perhaps?
Cyn, because my old screen name was cynicalcripple and my friends were too lazy to type it out. Sak or Sakura for basically the same reason. I also have a pen name, but I haven’t published anything using it yet. When I do, you’ll know.
L… I LOVE:
Dad. Jen. Danielle. Heather. And some other people.
M… How do you feel about MEETING people? Do it all the time? Rarely? Parties or 1-on-1?
Please don’t make me. I’m not good with people. If I have to, I prefer email or text.
N… What’s the story of your NAME? Were you named after anyone? Do you go by a nickname? Any aliases?
I was named after Sean Connery and Nichelle Nichols.
O… OBSERVANT: What’s around you right now? What do you see?
My desk and armoires and sticky notes and tins of peppermint bark. Darkness outside my window. I have the front camera on, so I see the vans and trailer and truck. The heat is currently on. I can’t really smell anything because allergies suck. My ventilator is whooshing. I’m too lazy to keep listing things.
P… Who are the special PEOPLE in your life?
Just Dad, really.
Q… Any Little QUIRKs About Yourself?
I have a lot of quirks, but I can’t think of them off the top of my head. What quirks do I have?
R… What do you like to do for RECREATION?
I read books or manga. I watch anime. And I play mindless games while blasting music as loud as it will go. I’m not an exciting person.
S… Do You SING in the Shower? In the car? For your friends?
I try to only sing when I’m alone or the music drowns me out. Sometimes I slip up. Ah well.
T… What’s at the Top of your TO DO list?
Writing. Need to get back into a rhythm.
U… Any UNUSUAL Experiences?
Far too many to talk about here. Maybe in a different post. But I did have a woman sing a full on gospel version of happy birthday to me in a dance club bathroom, then she told me I was beautiful and if anyone told me different she would slit their throat. I stopped letting my sister drag me into public bathrooms after that.
V… VEGAS, Vienna, Venice, Vladivostok: How far have you travelled? What’s your favourite City?
None of those places. I do remember stopping in or near Verona, New York. Pretty sure that was the place with the awesome La Quinta. I’ve been all over the eastern side of the U.S. and up into Canada. I’m partial to the northeast.
W… WINTER, Spring, Summer, Fall: What’s your favorite season? What makes it special?
I live in Texas. We get summer and a couple of weeks of winter. Summer is better.
X… EXes: They are ex for a very good reason.
I wouldn’t know. Don’t have any.
Y… Any secret/deep YEARNINGS?
Unless you count milkshakes as secret desires, no. Not really. I’m good.
Z… ZERO to ZENITH: Where are you in your life? Still growing? On an upward (or downward) curve? Just skating along?
Pretty much just skating along right now. I think that’s what most people are trying to do thanks to COVID. Hopefully things will eventually get better.
Howdy, howdy! How’s everyone doing at the moment? As I’m writing this (the 12th), it’s my birthday. All I really want to do is watch The Untamed or some anime and maybe read some manhwa or manga, but it’s only my second blog post of the year, so I can’t justify taking the day off. Instead, I’m listening to the Japanese music playlist Spotify created for me for today and trying to think of something worth rambling about. I know I did it last year, but I think I’m just going to make a list of random facts about me. I’m 35, so that seems like a good number. I’ll try not to overlap with previous posts too much, but if you’ve been paying attention, you probably know most of these things anyway.
1. I’m far too lazy to go back and read previous posts to see if I’m repeating myself. If you stalk me enough to remember everything I’ve written in this blog, cheers to you and sorry for the repeats. If you’re new to stalking me, this is pretty much everything you need to know.
2. I’ve probably said it before, but I’m currently diagnosed with Ullrich Congenital Muscular Dystrophy (UCMD). It’s one of the rarer Muscular Dystrophies, so I don’t really talk about it in specific terms. No one knows what it is anyway.
3. UCMD is my fourth diagnosis, but I’ve been assured it’s the correct one. First, it was floppy baby syndrome, then congenital myopathy, then for about 18/19 years it was Spinal Muscular Atrophy type 2. A few years after they discovered UCMD, my pediatric neurologist asked if I would be willing to get tested for it. Surprise! For the last 11 or 12 years, that’s been what is supposedly wrong with me.
4. I enjoy listening to music in languages I don’t speak just to hear the rhythm of the words. When I listen to English music that way, people still expect me to know what a song is about. Like, sorry. I know every single word, but I’ve never actually paid attention to what was being said. I’m weird.
5. I like screamers and growlers (musicians, you pervert). I don’t have to know what they’re saying as long as I can rage vicariously through them.
6. I’m currently obsessed with the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack for some strange reason. It will pass.
7. I haven’t worn shoes (except fluffy slippers) since July. Haven’t had to go anywhere, so what’s the point? Thank you, Covid!
8. Despite the lack of shoes, I wear pants and a clean shirt every day. The plague won’t change that.
9. People are idiots. I know this. There’s nothing I can do or say to change this. That’s why I tend not to address all of the idiocy going on right now, especially on social media (I have no desire to feed the trolls). It’s not that I don’t care. I just don’t want to waste my emotional energy getting riled up about things we all knew would happen eventually. Because people are assholes. Sure, the majority of people are fine. But those extreme dickwads (on both sides) are the reason the rest of us can’t have nice things.
10. I do occasionally post political crap when I’m extremely bored and want to watch people argue, but it’s never serious stuff.
11. Even though I haven’t finished a single crochet pattern, I keep stocking up on free ones so I have stuff to make when I decide to stop procrastinating.
12. Stalking artists is one of my favorite pastimes lately.
13. I love it when people draw pretty things for me.
14. Norse mythology is currently my favorite and I love reading about the weird crap those gods got up to, like when Loki tied one end of a rope around his testicles and the other around a goat’s beard, then proceeded to play a kind of tug-of-war in order to make Skadi laugh. Those people were strange.
15. I had no idea what the random deluge of Twisted Tea memes were about until a couple of days ago.
16. I’ve never heard WAP and don’t ever plan on listening to it.
17. I’m in the middle of reading a craft book and, despite liking the author, it’s reminding me why I only read them once in a blue moon. It’s a slog and not particularly helpful.
18. Despite the fact that J.K. Rowling has gone kind of nuts, I’m really enjoying reading the Harry Potter series again.
19. I don’t wear jewelry often (aside from a ring I wear every day), but I still buy necklaces and bracelets that I know I’ll only wear once or twice.
20. It is taking me far too long to write this list and it’s just reinforcing the fact that I’m old.
21. I randomly want ice cream, but we have none. Sadness.
22. I don’t remember ever having a brain freeze.
23. I just ordered Thai/Japanese fusion for my birthday dinner (thank you, Dad!). They said they have mochi, so as long as the order shows up right, I’m getting red bean ice cream! Wootwoot!
24. I have a bunch of awesome people who wished me a happy birthday. I’ll respond to each of them, but I’m sorry if it takes a couple of days.
25. While you’re reading this, I’ll either be reading manhwa or watching The Untamed since I didn’t get around to it today. Or I’ll be a good little writer and read some stuff I’m supposed to then write some words. I haven’t decided.
26. I’m terrible at talking about myself and am running out of things to say already. Is it obvious? I feel like it’s obvious.
27. My dog learned quickly that cats are sharp and now boldly barks at the ferals only when they’re no where in sight or she’s safely in the house. I find this hilarious.
28. I hate The Great Gatsby. I know I’m supposed to love it and think all these things about it and what it portrays, but it’s not good. At all. I’ve read it twice in my life and each time I wished I had those hours back.
29. White chocolate KitKats are better than milk chocolate ones.
30. I post little anecdotes that I think are funny and get weirded out when people start commenting supportive and encouraging things. I guess my funny stories are depressing or too dark.
31. An example of the type of anecdotes mentioned above: someone once asked why I write horror and when I told them that when you keep getting told you’re going to die by a young age you turn out a little twisted, they gave me that deer in the headlights look people get when they have no clue how to respond.
32. Dinner was yummy. I had a dancing eel roll and yakisoba, plus a duck bun and some of one of Dad’s dishes. The mochi will be a reward when I finish scheduling this post.
33. I just checked my email and got a great birthday present! Well, great news on my birthday, so I’m claiming it as a present. I’ll make a post about it when everything is official.
34. Apparently I give off a dragon vibe even though I’m obviously an unknowable sea entity. What do you think?
35. I’m too old to be making lists like this. It took all afternoon. Maybe I’ll just take my birthday week off from blogging in the future. Or maybe I’m just being lazy.
And I’m done. Thank the gods and goddesses. As usual, feel free to share your thoughts or comments or own lists here or on my social media pages!
Howdy, howdy! On Sunday, I turned 34. It was a nice, quiet day. Dad took me out for Thai food, which was super yummy. It’s a place we used to go to pretty often called Tukta Thai over on the corner of Walnut Hill and Plano Road. We still have no idea why we stopped going other than it being a bit of a drive. I’ll have to review the place next time we go (if I can remember to make Dad take pictures). Anyway, since I have nothing new to ramble about, I thought I would make a list of 34 random facts about me that you may or may not already know.
1. In case you haven’t guessed by the January 12th birthday, I’m a Capricorn.
2. Just about every morning, I call my dog random names to see what she’s answering to in that particular 5 minutes, because she refuses to learn her name. Or any name.
3. I love garlic. What’s the point of eating something if there’s no garlic in it?
5. If I have to choose between vanilla and chocolate ice cream, I’ll usually choose vanilla. Unless it’s Ghirardelli or Talenti, then chocolate please. Or just give me coffee ice cream. Now, I want ice cream.
6. I watched The Witcher and never got the song stuck in my head. I can’t even remember the tune. Does that make me a psychopath?
7. I think Madonna is overrated.
8. I haven’t watched a single episode of Game of Thrones, nor have I read any of the books.
9. I like fake grape flavor.
10. Sailor Saturn is the best Sailor Senshi and nothing you say will change my mind.
11. Anime taught me that main characters don’t have to be likeable for the story to be good. Yeah. I’m looking at you, Shinji and Eren.
12. I love bats and octopuses. And snakes. And wombats. Animals. I like them.
13. Mermaids, sirens, and selkies are among my favorite mythical creatures.
14. I’m so bad at remembering to write letters that one of my friends routinely sends me stationery type stuff to remind me to write to her. I currently have one of the blank cards she sent me for my birthday sitting in front of me waiting to be filled out. It’s been there since Friday. I’m a horrible friend.
15. I told Dad I was going to crochet a bag of dicks for him if he didn’t stop being one, so he brought out the “dick warmer” he got as a gift a long time ago. Needless to say, I now have an old crocheted penis on display in my room.
16. My CD collection has been sitting on my desk for over a year since my old stereo died. I keep forgetting to transfer them to my computer.
17. I have been in every state straight up from Texas and to the east. Now, we just have to conquer the west.
18. When people ask if I’ve been out of the country, it takes me a minute to remember that Canada counts and I have been there.
19. I used to cross-stitch before my hands decided to be stupid. Which is probably why I enjoy crocheting. It’s a completely different experience, but I get to buy pretty yarn, which is basically the same as buying pretty thread.
20. As much as I miss video games, I’m kind of glad I stopped being able to play before you had to start buying in-game upgrades and subscriptions and all that crap. I’m poor enough as it is.
21. I could never be a vegan because cheese. Meat too, but mostly cheese.
22. I like Pepsi better than Coke. Unless it’s Mexican, then Coke is better.
23. My acquaintances post these “picky eater” test things on Facebook and I really have no idea how some of them survive. Like, what do you eat? You can’t survive on air and cookies.
24. I’ll taste just about anything once. I’m not picky. Even if I know I don’t like it, but haven’t tasted it in years, I’ll try it again.
25. I don’t like sweet pickles. Doesn’t matter how many times I taste them. Blargh. But I love dill pickles.
26. My favorite season is summer. I like heat, though I admit as I get older, 85-90 is warm enough.
27. Anything besides cheese pizza (and maybe sausage or pepperoni) is an open-face sandwich. You’ll never convince me otherwise.
28. I’ve had to read “Hills like White Elephants” by Hemingway so many times I’ve lost count. The last teacher who assigned it actually looked supremely disappointed when he asked what it was really about and I automatically answered abortion. He was kind of a dick anyway, so I didn’t mind bursting his smug bubble when he just knew no one would know what it was about.
29. I love boxes and baskets. I have no use for them, but I love them.
30. I collect blades and whips.
31. In one of my fiction writing classes at SMU, no one knew what an asshat was. I understood the teacher not knowing, but none of my classmates had heard it either. I fixed that.
32. Aside from weapons, my room also contains an eclectic mix of stuffed animals, skulls, Barbie dolls, and signed posters among other things.
33. I like Panera’s frozen coffees, but find their hot (read that as lukewarm) drinks extremely disappointing.
34. It took me a ridiculously long time to write this because I suck at talking about myself.
There you go. Thirty-four random things about me. Feel free to share your thoughts or comments or lists about yourself here or on my social media pages!
Howdy, howdy! As some of you might know, tomorrow (January 12th) is my birthday. I’ll be 31, or for those of you who have gerascophobia (the fear of aging), it’ll be my third 29th. Birthdays around here are quiet events that usually consist of a nice dinner with friends. This year, the destination is Texas de Brazil! Yummy! I’ll make sure to do a full report on that next week. This week, I thought I would share a list of 15 things about myself that you may or may not already know. I was going to do 31 and make it a whole nod to my age thing, but no one’s that interested in me.
1. My current diagnosis is Ulrich Congenital Muscular Dystrophy (UCMD), but it’s not my first. There was Floppy Baby Syndrome, which I was supposed to grow out of. When that didn’t happen, it was Congenital Myopathy. I didn’t grow out of that either, so I was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy type 2 (SMA2), which came with a series of death guesstimates that never panned out. That was all by the time I was five. I was 23 or so when they decided SMA2 was definitely wrong and tested for UCMD (a relatively new disease at the time). The doctors swear UCMD is the correct one, though. We’ll see what happens.
2. I like Nickelback. Make fun of me all you want, but they aren’t a bad group. They’re not my favorite or anything, but I never really understood why they’re so hated.
3. I don’t have a favorite TV show. I have shows I love, but if you asked me to pick one I like best, I couldn’t even narrow it down.
4. I’m a firm believer that “growing up” and “acting your age” are scams developed by people who aren’t young at heart. Besides, I’ve never been this age. I don’t know what it’s supposed to be like.
5. My favorite things about the Christmas season (aside from family and joy and all of that) are eggnog and peppermint bark.
6. I’m quietly competitive. I try not to compete with people for things, but when it happens, I will silently plot your overthrow.
7. One of my favorite memories from my time at SMU was when my physics teacher decided to make class grades “public.” There was a spreadsheet on the class website with our grades listed under nicknames. I swapped back and forth with a guy (I overheard the guy tell a classmate his nickname, so I know it wasn’t the other female in class) for top marks as the semester went on, ultimately earning the highest grade. That was the best motivation ever.
8. I started listening to James Blunt and Lifehouse and sappy music in general for a male. I keep listening to it because I’m apparently a big old softy who enjoys that kind of stuff.
9. I can go weeks or more without talking to people. It doesn’t mean that I don’t like you. And I don’t avoid people very often unless I’ve had too much social interaction (a rare occurrence). I’ll answer you if you message me. I’m just really bad at keeping in touch.
10. My favorite colors are purple and green. My favorite color combination is purple with black and silver. Most people don’t seem to know about the green part. It’s weird.
11. I have to drink booze through a straw. I don’t really understand why this amazes people, but it does.
12. I want to go to Japan some day. There are other places I would like to visit, but Japan will always be at the top of my list.
13. A friend once told me that she loved me because I would tell her the blunt truth and she’d still walk away feeling special, even if I was telling her she was doing something idiotic. She’s not the only one who has said something similar. I guess it’s a weird talent I have.
14. I don’t read nearly as much as I should. I know writers are expected to read a lot, but I don’t. It’s just not that high on my list of priorities, so I tend to keep putting it off.
15. I’d love to move to the northeast. Somewhere on the water. Closer to my Stonecoast people. I really miss Maine, especially while residency is going on, like right now.
I’ll stop boring you! Feel free to share some facts about yourself in the comments or on my social media pages. See you next week!