Howdy, howdy! As some of you might know, tomorrow (January 12th) is my birthday. I’ll be 31, or for those of you who have gerascophobia (the fear of aging), it’ll be my third 29th. Birthdays around here are quiet events that usually consist of a nice dinner with friends. This year, the destination is Texas de Brazil! Yummy! I’ll make sure to do a full report on that next week. This week, I thought I would share a list of 15 things about myself that you may or may not already know. I was going to do 31 and make it a whole nod to my age thing, but no one’s that interested in me.
1. My current diagnosis is Ulrich Congenital Muscular Dystrophy (UCMD), but it’s not my first. There was Floppy Baby Syndrome, which I was supposed to grow out of. When that didn’t happen, it was Congenital Myopathy. I didn’t grow out of that either, so I was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy type 2 (SMA2), which came with a series of death guesstimates that never panned out. That was all by the time I was five. I was 23 or so when they decided SMA2 was definitely wrong and tested for UCMD (a relatively new disease at the time). The doctors swear UCMD is the correct one, though. We’ll see what happens.
2. I like Nickelback. Make fun of me all you want, but they aren’t a bad group. They’re not my favorite or anything, but I never really understood why they’re so hated.
3. I don’t have a favorite TV show. I have shows I love, but if you asked me to pick one I like best, I couldn’t even narrow it down.
4. I’m a firm believer that “growing up” and “acting your age” are scams developed by people who aren’t young at heart. Besides, I’ve never been this age. I don’t know what it’s supposed to be like.
5. My favorite things about the Christmas season (aside from family and joy and all of that) are eggnog and peppermint bark.
6. I’m quietly competitive. I try not to compete with people for things, but when it happens, I will silently plot your overthrow.
7. One of my favorite memories from my time at SMU was when my physics teacher decided to make class grades “public.” There was a spreadsheet on the class website with our grades listed under nicknames. I swapped back and forth with a guy (I overheard the guy tell a classmate his nickname, so I know it wasn’t the other female in class) for top marks as the semester went on, ultimately earning the highest grade. That was the best motivation ever.
8. I started listening to James Blunt and Lifehouse and sappy music in general for a male. I keep listening to it because I’m apparently a big old softy who enjoys that kind of stuff.
9. I can go weeks or more without talking to people. It doesn’t mean that I don’t like you. And I don’t avoid people very often unless I’ve had too much social interaction (a rare occurrence). I’ll answer you if you message me. I’m just really bad at keeping in touch.
10. My favorite colors are purple and green. My favorite color combination is purple with black and silver. Most people don’t seem to know about the green part. It’s weird.
11. I have to drink booze through a straw. I don’t really understand why this amazes people, but it does.
12. I want to go to Japan some day. There are other places I would like to visit, but Japan will always be at the top of my list.
13. A friend once told me that she loved me because I would tell her the blunt truth and she’d still walk away feeling special, even if I was telling her she was doing something idiotic. She’s not the only one who has said something similar. I guess it’s a weird talent I have.
14. I don’t read nearly as much as I should. I know writers are expected to read a lot, but I don’t. It’s just not that high on my list of priorities, so I tend to keep putting it off.
15. I’d love to move to the northeast. Somewhere on the water. Closer to my Stonecoast people. I really miss Maine, especially while residency is going on, like right now.
I’ll stop boring you! Feel free to share some facts about yourself in the comments or on my social media pages. See you next week!