Hello, hello! Welcome to 2018. I hope everyone has a wonderful year. May the year be filled with everything you need and something you want! A few weeks ago, I talked about my goals for the new year (here). So, I thought I would go ahead and share my January goals this week. Even though it’s only been two days, I’ve been doing pretty well so far. Let’s hope the rest of the month is just as productive!
So, here are my January goals in no particular order.
1. Get DS1’s (the current novel attempt’s code name) shitty first draft to at least 60,000 words. It’s currently 44,000 and I’m aiming for a complete draft of 70-75,000ish words. For a month, 16,000 words is a pretty reasonable goal. Hopefully, I’ll get further, but it’s always a good idea to stick with tough but reasonable goals.
2. Submit stuff 10 times (2 every Monday). This refers only to short stories, flash fiction, and poetry. Not agent searching. Last year, I focused primarily on my novel and neglected my other work. I don’t want to do that this year. Sure, it means more rejections, but I can’t get any acceptances if I don’t submit, right? (More positive thinking is also something I’m working on this year.)
3. Write 1 flash piece OR short story. I should probably include poems in this, but it’s been so long since I’ve written any poetry that I probably suck at it now. That’s not negative thinking, it’s just the truth. I’ll probably set aside some time for writing poetry when I start focusing on my revisions. For now, I’ll stick with short stories and flash fiction.
4. Read 2 books. I recently joined GoodReads to try to keep better track of what I’ve read throughout the year. I’m a slow reader, so my goal is to read 24 books in 2018. I’m currently halfway through a book I started a week ago, so I guess technically my January goal is only 1.5 books. Is that cheating?
5. Stop dwelling on rejections and sucking and just do the damn work. This is where the positive thinking really comes in. I’ve been down about all the agent rejections I received last year. After 100 rejections (or just flat out being ignored), it’s hard not to think it’s me and my suckiness. But! I just need to suck it up and move on. I’ve got other projects that might interest people. It’s time to focus on those!
6. Make time for people. I always say that I need to talk to more people and I always fail. But I will keep adding it to my goals until it actually happens! I used to be so good at keeping in touch with people back when Yahoo chatrooms were a thing. I don’t know what happened to that me.
7. Turn 32. Yup, I’m a January baby. In about 9 days, I’ll be turning 32. I’m old. But I’m okay with that.
That’s my plan for January. What about you? Do you have any goals for this month? What about goals for the new year? Feel free to share them here or on my social media pages!