Howdy, howdy! Can you believe it’s already August? I feel like I’m still stuck in June. Time just keeps getting faster and faster. Am I alone in this feeling? Yeah? Well, okay then. I don’t really have much to talk about at the moment, though I am trying my hand at some revision techniques that are new to me. If they work out, I’ll probably talk about them more next week. Anyway, since this Wednesday actually falls on the first, I decided to simply share my August goals with you.
So, without further ado and in no particular order, I present to you…
1. Submit stuff 8 times (2 every Monday) to semi-pro markets or higher. This is one of my goals for the year (submitting two stories to magazines or anthologies every Monday) and I’ve been doing really well with it. I haven’t missed a week yet, though I do believe I submitted stuff on Tuesday a couple of times. Sometimes, I’ve dreaded submitting or felt like I’ve submitted everywhere I possibly could, but I pushed through it and found new places anyway. Hopefully, I’ll be able to keep it up!
2. Write 50+ words OR revise 1+ pages EVERY DAY. I’m back to the small goals every single day thing. It’s just really helpful to me when I feel like I’m between projects. In my head, I know I’m prepping for in-depth revisions on LR, but if I don’t keep track of words or pages, I don’t feel productive. This goal might change once I find my rhythm with LR. For now, though, it’s good for me.
3. Read 2 books. This is another one of my goals for every month this year. Honestly, I’ve kind of lost track of how many books I tend to read in a month because some overlap months and others I deliberately read over a longer period of time (almost always craft books). But I do know I’m up to 18 books this year (thanks to GoodReads tracking feature), so I’m ahead of schedule.
4. Make time for people. I’ve been a bit reclusive recently, though I still try to answer every message I get. I just don’t initiate as many conversations as I should. This is nothing new. It’s something I struggle with all the time (as you know if you’ve read earlier posts). I’m just far too comfortable not talking to people and stalking them on Facebook instead. Yes, I’m creepy like that. My friends know this and many of them do the same. But I really do want to be better about socializing. I swear.
5. Finish timeline for LR. This is one of those new-to-me techniques I mentioned earlier. There’s about one more day’s worth of plotting before I have a timeline that I can work with (I’m plotting it on the computer before I write anything out). I even bought a bunch of Post-It notes in pretty colors to make everything easy to differentiate. I just have to figure out where to stick them that’s easy to see. Then, I have to recruit Dad to do the sticking. I bet he never thought my novel writing would include work for him.
6. Work on revisions of LR. Hopefully the timeline will make revisions go more smoothly than usual. It’s already given me ideas for new scenes and how to rework some old ones, so I’m cautiously optimistic. I should have some updates on this in the next couple of weeks. Wish me luck!
Those are my goals for the month. What about you? What are you hoping to accomplish before September? Feel free to share your goals or thoughts here or on my social media pages!
One thought on “August Goals!”